The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association (MDC) is one of Germany's top research institutions, covering a diverse interdisciplinary spectrum of basic and clinically relevant biomedical sciences. With regard to the quality of published papers, the MDC is ranked as the best German research institution ("Excellence Rate Report", SCImago Research Group, 2011) and is the 14th among the top 20 life science institutes worldwide in the field of molecular biology/genetics (Thomson Reuters, 2010). The MDC is a member of the Helmholtz Association, Germany's largest scientific research organization.
The MDC's scientific program is centered on four main research areas:
- Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases
- Diseases of the Nervous System
- Medical Systems Biology
Read more about research at the MDC in the MDC Research Report 2016
- 78 basic science and clinical research groups
- 13 technology platforms
- More than 1,600 staff and guests from around 60 countries
- Thereof 1,315 people working in research (30% international)
- Including more than 200 post-docs, and around 400 PhD students
- Annual budget of approximately €100 million
The MDC Graduate School provides exceptional research opportunities and in-depth interdisciplinary training in the field of molecular medicine as the foundation of modern medicine. Research areas include cancer biology, immunology, cardiovascular research, metabolic research, developmental biology, medical systems biology, bioinformatics, structural biology and molecular neurobiology. A comprehensive training program in a unique translational research environment with access to state-of the-art technology platforms is complemented by various skills development courses. There are currently five specialized PhD programs:
- MDC - NYU PhD Exchange Program in Medical Systems Biology
- MolNeuro - International Helmholtz Research School 'Molecular Neurobiology'
- SignGene - German-Israeli Helmholtz Research School 'Frontiers in Cell Signaling & Gene Regulation' (with Technion-Israel Institute of Technology & Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
- TransCard - International Helmholtz Research School 'Translational Cardiovascular & Metabolic Medicine'
More about the MDC on our website at www.mdc-berlin.de
Or in our monthly newsletter MDC Insights. Please subscribe here.